Wednesday 25 May 2011

Now that the wallpaper was up, it was time to age the paper and make it look more authentic. The family who live here we wanted to look house proud so I needed to only add a slight hint of ageing to the paper itself.
I did this by getting a tub of water and then adding any blobs of paint I could find, this included colours such as black, dark brown, yellow ocher and very dark green. After mixing this all together it created a great murky damp colour. At first I tried using a roller to apply then paint mixture and then use a dry roller to clear up any of the drips - I wanted to avoid drips at all cost because they would make the walls look obviously painted - This process worked but it didn't create a dark enough colour to set on the walls. The process I finally used was actually found by mistake. I would get a handful of elephant roll and then dunk it into the water/paint. Squeeze out the excess and then in a circle motion apply the mixture to the paper. I found that the drier the roll became the more successful the effect looked because each circle wouldn't be as noticeable.
I was pleased with the out come. I felt that when looking at each wall on the whole it gave an effective damp look.

No comments:

Post a Comment